Friday, August 17, 2007

Ready for Me

Deena Tyler is set to release her chapbook Ready for Me: Raw and Rough on Saturday, November 4! Stay tuned for event details.

Here is a poem from the book:

I Harbor No Illusions
by Deena Tyler


I harbor no illusions that I’ll go far,
that Oprah will buy me a car,
or I'll be a star.
I harbor no illusions that people don't judge my skin,
that losers ever win,
that everyone is my friend.
I don’t harbor those illusions.
There are days early in the morning
without warning
I feel my grandmother's presence and just for a moment, I am innocent again.
I believe…
I believe that Martin Luther King's dream could be true for me and you,
I believe we could love one another,
all be brothers.
I believe we could chase an ideal,
make it real,
make it worth living for.
I believe there is an honest man
who will take a stand.
Then…
the moment goes and heaven knows
that at any time without reason
it could become a killing season.
I could just be gone,
that everything I believed was wrong.
So I will not have delusions
about my illusions.
But I still want to believe.

To contact Deena, use this email address:
usATwomenwriters.us.to

0 comments: